to all my exes, this is for you, because i realized i am who i am because of the people i have met. specifically, the people i have loved. now let me clarify by saying that i did not love all these people. love is something i take very seriously. it is not something to toss around to keep or please a person. in all my 20 years of living, i can truly say that i have never said it to anyone i have not loved. some of these actually are people i didn’t even date, but they taught me something. i grew from every encounter, every interaction, every friendship, every relationship, and i am so proud of myself for continuing to rise instead fall. so here’s to you, and here’s to me for taking these things and making them change me into a better human being.
- thank you for being my first heartbreak. it was inevitable anyway. you taught me how to love in the purest form. the kindness i saw in you is the kindness i look for in all relationships going further. it was truly an honor to get to call you mine.
- thank you for friendship. you taught me anyone is lovable. you taught me not be scared because you could never fall again if you were too scared to jump. you also taught me to take relationships slow. they never work if they are rushed and prodded. it was short, but i was lucky to have you by my side.
- thank you for teaching me not to settle for less. also, stop calling me.
- thank you for keeping me safe. you taught me what a relationship is really about. you taught me not to dwell in the past because if i did, i wouldn’t be able to see forward. i learned that sometimes things just don’t work out, and that’s okay. even after everything, i don’t regret it.
- thank you for making me laugh. you reminded me how fun a relationship can be. you taught me timing is everything and maybe one day we’ll work our way back to each other. for now, i wish you the best.